Digital marketing means direct marketing. DM means segmentation. What’s it all about?
What is segmentation?
Segmentation means splitting your prospect or customer data into chunks – segments – so you can send a specially tailored marketing message to each.
How can you segment your data?
Here are a few examples:
- customers / prospects
- recent buyers / frequent buyers / people who haven’t bought for ages
- marketing responders / non responders
- people who have bought specific goods (useful for tightly targeted up-selling and cross selling campaigns)
Why segment your data?
- targeted marketing almost always out-performs non-targeted work. Which means you make more money
- targeted campaigns and everyday communications deliver better customer service. Which means prospects are more likely to become customers. And customers are more likely to come back for more